Monday, February 29, 2016

In Praise of Editors

This week I'm working hard on the first set of edits suggested by my editor Sarah Harvey for my next YA novel for Orca Book Publishers, currently called Feast. I say currently because one of the first things Sarah suggested, was a new title for the novel. I was not pleased about this. Luckily because I have worked with Sarah on three previous novels I know how this will play out: eventually I will see the beauty of each of her suggestions. Sarah is not only a great editor, she's also the author of several books for children and young adults, including her current title Spirit Level.



Working with an editor is an interesting and humbling experience. For a year or more, I work by myself, quietly at my desk, or more frequently, on my laptop on my couch. My characters form in my heads like imaginary friends, and their problems and goals blossom as I type. I start with a voice and dialogue. My characters argue and discuss and from there, I find a structure to chart my character's development. As I write I often have other writer friends read short excerpts for me. For the most part they are supportive and say nice things about my writing.





Orca Editor Sarah Harvey

And then there's my editor. Her job is to make my book the best it can be. And so often when I get back the first draft of comments I'm overwhelmed. Sarah finds things in the story that I had no idea weren't working. Then I am briefly annoyed- what does she know? This is my book. Next, I have a moment of sadness. I realize Sarah is right. My book which seemed perfect, is hopelessly flawed. I mumble incoherently in my car on the way to work and complain to my husband about how bad my book is. I sleep poorly and worry I'll never have a solution to my book's endless problems. This lasts a few days. And then I get down to work. At this point I realize just how brilliant Sarah is, how she can see my whole book in her head in a way that I can't. I praise her vision, and the way she cuts out all my verbal tics, the "sighs," "shrugs," "wells" and "ums," that litter my writing, like tiny crutches. I start to see how her vision is really my vision, but better.


When the manuscript becomes hopelessly marked up with changes and I think I can't improve it anymore, I send it back to Sarah. I know she'll send me another raft of comments for the next round of editing, but the second session is never as hard.


At this point in my editing I still haven't changed the title of my book, but I'm starting to come around to her suggestions.

4 comments:

  1. Sarah took a chance on my bloated, clumsy little debut, and helped me find the story in the middle of all the words. Meeting and working with her was one of the luckiest things that's ever happened to me. We went on to work on four books together, and can honestly say that I don't know where I'd be if she hadn't emerged from the mist like Merlin, brandishing a red pen and a bag full of excellent suggestions. I can tell that you know you're as lucky to have had her on your projects as I know I am to have had her on mine! (Re-reading that last sentence, I am pretty sure it could stand some editing. I'll leave it and hope she sends it back to me full of track changes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment. Yes, we are both lucky to work with Sarah. Good luck on future writing projects.

      Delete
  2. Sarah IS a fantastic editor (and author), and she is my personal mentor! I've worked with her for many years as a copyeditor for Orca, both in-house and now freelance (in fact, I was the copyeditor on your first two Orca books, Gravity and The Book of Trees, both of which I loved!). I learned so many valuable lessons about editing from her, not least of which was the delicate art of forming strong bonds with talented authors. It is true that editors really are on the author's side and they want what you want--the best book possible! She is the best ally to have. Best wishes on your next project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jolene for your kind words on my books. Yes, Sarah is true find.

    ReplyDelete