Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Off Pointe Book Launch



Tett Centre for the Arts and The Isabelle Bader Theatre
This past Saturday was the launch for my dance book Off Pointe (ages 11-14). Instead of launching the book at my favourite bookstore, Novel Idea, I decided to make an appearance at the Kingston School of Dance's Open House. The dance school has just moved into the newly opened Tett Centre for the Arts, a beautiful building on Kingston's waterfront, right next to the new (and also beautiful) Isabelle Bader Theatre. If you're in town, I highly suggest you check out both buildings.

Annabelle Chacon and me
So the launch was fun. Friends came and bought books, dancers checked out the building and ate cupcakes, and lots of small people ran around one of the gorgeous new studios and played with balloons. As a surprise, my friend Annabelle drove down from Toronto.

I was able to have the launch at the dance studio not only because the Kingston School of Dance is such a warm and friendly place, but also because I've been taking a contemporary dance class for adults. Most of the time I think this is an excellent idea and I've really enjoyed moving for art and not just exercise (or narcissism). At other times I question how wise it is to start dancing again after a fifteen year hiatus. It's not only my un-flexible body, but my un-flexible mind, which struggles to remember choreography. There's also the problem that I think I'm leaping across the room, but really I'm barely making it off the floor. This is all very humbling, and makes me think I should stick to weight-lifting and yoga. And still, I go on, because it's too much fun not to.

It's been a busy writing week for me. I did four author-in-the-classroom visits this week and I'm off to Toronto on Friday to sign copies of Off Pointe at the Ontario Library Association Conference. I'm not quite sure what it will be like, but the last time I went to the conference centre I had a husband, a baby and a toddler in tow, so I'm sure this will be a different (and less encumbered) experience.

To read about Off Pointe in the local Kingston news, you can check out The Whig or The Heritage, or a short clip on CKWS.

3 comments:

  1. Getting my Ex back

    my name is Andrew Wheeler from England i had a problem with my wife sometimes ago but never knew what the problem was,i tried to asked her but she refused to tell,me what it was as time goes on i discovered she was having an affair with a friend of mine that happens to be my best friend,i was so sad that i never knew what to do next,during my search for a way out i met a friend of mine who had similar problem and introduced me to a man who helped him with his situation,on getting to the man i discovered he was a spell caster i was shocked because i have not had anything to do with a spell caster in my entire life so i tried to give this man a chance cos i never believed in spell casting as i thought it will not work for me but to my surprise i got positive results and i was able to get my wife back from him even after the spell caster did all i discovered my wife fell much more in love with me on like before so i was so happy that i never know what to do for him so i am using this opportunity to tell anyone on this blog having similar problem visit okokospellcaster@gmail.com ..i am sure he will help you.and you can call him on this number +27846257323

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I Got My Ex Husband Back...........

    I am Shannon by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my husband after three(3) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address Makospelltemple@yahoo.com , have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a woman had a spell on my husband and he told me that he will help me and after 2 days that i will have my husband back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my husband. Thanks for Dr.Mako. His email: Makospelltemple@yahoo.com OR.His WhatsApp Number:+2347054263874.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I Got My Ex Husband Back...........

    I am Shannon by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my husband after three(3) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address Makospelltemple@yahoo.com , have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a woman had a spell on my husband and he told me that he will help me and after 2 days that i will have my husband back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my husband. Thanks for Dr.Mako. His email: Makospelltemple@yahoo.com OR.His WhatsApp Number:+2347054263874.

    ReplyDelete